Tiny projects

Well, it has been quite a while since I have updated you on my projects. I have done a tiny bit of hand sewing since my last post. Here’s what little has been going on:

DSC_0012I had been given three adorable tiny bibs for the baby at our shower. Unfortunately, our baby was not one to cutely emit a tiny dribble occasionally. No, nope. He was a veritable waterfall of drool for months and months. We needed large, functional bibs that could withstand lots of washing. So I cut the binding/ties off the necks of the adorable bibs, layered them on top of each other, and hand sewed new binding/ties over all three so that we end up with one large bib. I’m really happy to say that this hand sewing has gone through multiple washing machine cycles and is doing fine. In fact, you can probably see staining on the bib in this picture…proof that this thing is being used a lot in real life.

DSC_0007Next, are a few little toys that I made up. I noticed that the baby liked to play with latches, so I grabbed some latches and ribbon and straps from the fabric store and simply hand sewed them together. This is hardly worth talking about, but here’s a picture in case you are interested. This project was not very efficient as far as cost goes…I don’t think I would do it again unless I already had the pieces to refashion from something else. But it was fun to make something for the kid and he still plays with them. And the sewing is holding up…so it’s a successful make.

I’ve just started working on a project that is a little bigger…although still not as big as a piece of clothing. I’m not ready to put the time and effort into clothing until I get a bit better at this machine-less sewing.

Tiny Activity Blanket

DSC_0001I have had one opportunity to get out my sewing machine and make something since the tiny person came along. I was so excited. I knew that I wanted to start with something simple since my time was limited, I hadn’t been sleeping, and it had been a while since I had sewn anything. So I decided to make a tiny activity blanket for the boy. I wanted something that had high contrast colors, some textural interest, and some bits for his tiny fingers to play with. This blanket is about 18 inches square(ish). The front is a checkerboard quilting cotton with a red button. The back is chenille with tabs and loops from a checkerboard ribbon and another red button.  The binding is just a pre-made satin blanket binding.

DSC_0002Although, the whole point of this project was to have something easy I could do in limited time, it turned out to be much more difficult than I planned. Chenille is not easy to sew (I had no idea) and I spent almost all of my precious sewing time trying to troubleshoot that. I eventually sandwiched the chenille with swedish tracing paper and then sewed. Then I ripped the tracing paper off. This worked well. You can just barely see in the picture that there is some quilting holding the layers together. The plan was to have a lot more of this, but time ran out due to the chenille struggle.

The second problem was the binding…I managed to completely mess it up and was left with no binding when my time was up. The tiny blanket languished on the to-do pile for a long time waiting for more sewing time. Eventually my mom took pity on me and took it home and put the binding on with her machine. Thank goodness for moms.

The boy does like the blanket, so I would call this a successful result, if not a particularly stunning piece of sewing.